One of the things my fiancé and I have been missing most in our plant-based diets are breakfast scrambles. I used to cook egg scrambles all the time and I got pretty damn good at them. Fortunately, I’ve been learning that there are pretty easy ways to make scrambles with tofu instead of eggs. This is one of the best recipes I’ve been working with. It’s not that much harder than making an egg scramble, and once you do it a couple times it becomes just as easy. Why would someone want to make this recipe instead of a normal egg scramble? Less calories, no dietary cholesterol (for anyone concerned with heart health, dietary cholesterol intake does correspond to blood cholesterol), and the turmeric used in the tofu seasoning is an antiseptic, has been shown to have anti-cancer properties, is a liver detoxifier, an anti-inflammatory, and is good for your skin.
You will need:
1 block firm to extra firm tofu, drained and pressed between two plates overnight (put some books or canned foods on top of the top plate to add pressure to the tofu)
1 head broccoli, chopped (or 1/2 pre-washed bag from Trader Joes)
1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
1-2 tsps Bragg’s, nama shoyu, or low sodium soy sauce
3/4 tsp Turmeric
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (great source of B12)
1/2 Cup Spinach (optional)
Here’s what you do:
1) Crumble tofu in a small bowl and mash a little with a fork. Add the Bragg’s (or soy sauce), turmeric, and nutritional yeast and mix well.
2) Heat a large pan, preferably a cast-iron skillet, and add a little high-heat oil to the pan (safflower or grapeseed would be best, but canola is alright too) and add the onion and bell pepper pieces. Cook over medium-high heat until they’re soft.
3) Add the broccoli and cook for a couple minutes.
4) Add the tofu and mix well, cook until warmed through.
5) Add the spinach if you have it and cook until it’s wilted.
That’s it! Super easy and you don’t have to worry about salmonella poisoning, so that’s a plus. I’m going to be working on some variations of this tofu scramble in the future and I’ll post them asap.