Raw nuts are a great snack in between meals, but many people are concerned with their high fat content. The truth of the matter is, raw nuts only contribute to weight gain if your overall calorie intake is too high. In fact, it’s incredibly important to consume raw nuts on a daily basis. It’s important to mention these benefits are only true for whole nuts and seeds and not their extracted oils. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Nuts contain lignans, bioflavanoids, minerals, antioxidants, and plant sterols.
- They naturally lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol.
- They contain micronutrients such as polyphenols and arginine that help to prevent blood vessel inflammation.
- Studies have shown that consumption of nuts actually decrease the end point of cardiovascular death and increase overall life span.
- They help you absorb phytochemicals from vegetables better.
- They help prevent cardiac arrythmias, which cause sudden death in heart patients.
- Because they contain so much fiber and have such a low glycemic index, they suppress appetite and help you lose weight and help diabetics overcome their disease.
So start to incorporate more nuts and seeds into your diet. Walnuts, almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, hazel nuts, pistachios and more are incredibly important to consume on a regular basis.