One of my favorite dishes when frequenting the cafeteria or Boston Market during my college days was creamed spinach. I figured “hey, it’s got spinach in it, it’s gotta be good for me!” But sadly I was so very wrong. I haven’t had creamed spinach in a long time and I got excited to find this recipe and modify it a bit to make it unbelievably delicious. This recipe is 100% vegan, really really easy to make and only requires a blender and a saute pan. I used a VitaMix, but if you don’t have an absurdly expensive blender, not to worry. This will work with any blender you have or can get at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. This recipe is a great for getting in your necessary daily amount of cooked greens.
I’m trying something new on this post – I took pictures of each step of the cooking process for your visual reference. Let me know how you like it! Here’s the recipe.
- 1/2 Cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk or any other nondairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mellow white miso
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg if you don’t have the whole nut)
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chopped kale, spinach or other dark leafy green